Sunday, June 24, 2012

Farmington

I guess if you live in CT and don't fish the Farmington then there is something wrong with you.  I have to confess that although I started fly fishing for trout 40 or so years ago,  I didn't actually fish the Farmington until last year.  Ergo, I have a lot of catching up to do.  Knowing that Alan (BRK TRT) has fished the Farmy numerous times, I was glad that he said he'd go this morning.  I let him show me the way, which I am very grateful for.  Although the fish were not overly active, I still managed to catch a few on both dry and wet flies.  I can't wait to see (i.e. fish) the Farmington when the fish are active.







8 comments:

  1. awesome pictures of the river. that second one down makes me really want to head up that way... in my mind the farmington seems like such a big river, and not a smaller creek/stream that i am used to. after seeing so many photos lately, I'm gonna hafta dust off my 4wt rods, tie up some DDT's, buy some ten penny, and hit some northern riff. nice fish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In sections it really is big. But along the way there are some areas where it splits around islands and you can fish in a small river setting. You should definitely go. As Alan would tell you, it really comes alive later in the afternoon into the evening.

      Delete
  2. Those are wonderful browns.
    Whats that name thunderbolt or thunderstorm?
    A fine day for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or maybe thunderclap. Nice stretch of water, either way.

      Delete
  3. Well done Kirk!! You had a great guide!! See ya up there someday soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He gave me a lot of tips. Sounds good to me. I hope to go to the Farmy a lot more in the future.

      Delete
  4. Nice job Kirk, so now you know why us "small streamers" take a break to fish the Farmington :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is a nice break from crawling around wooded brooks, getting covered with ticks and losing flies in the trees. I definitely need more time on the water there to learn more about it.

      Delete