Saturday, June 16, 2012

A couple days worth

Yesterday and today I went to a few close brooks with the hope of seeing some of the residents.  It turned out to be a reasonably successful endeavor, with brookies falling for Picket Pins, Muddlers or Usuals at a few of the pools that I fished.  I tried fishing a section of a stream that I reckoned had seen very little pressure since the construction of an exit/entrance ramp to a nearby highway.  Low and behold a small native brookie took a dry fly near where I entered the stream and was photographed and released in short order.  Downstream I found a series of small waterfalls and in one pool at the base a fish grabbed a Bomber but quickly escaped.  The fish then went after a Picket Pin, but as before the hook wasn't set and it returned to its hiding place.  On my way home I stopped at the closest stream to my house, a beautiful cobbled brook, and was able to fool and land three healthy native brookies, one of which was nice sized (not as large as BRK TRT's recently blogged monster, though).

Yesterday at the farthest stream from my house.  Today I didn't even get a bump.




Below are some pictures of what may be a mostly neglected brook (except by people like us).






The closest and most beautiful (in my opinion) of the streams.






4 comments:

  1. That last trout looks awesome! Really nice colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was beautiful. The photo only partially captures its amazing colors. I was drifting a Picket Pin downstream when I noticed that my line was bowed. I stripped in the line and it seemed that the fly had hooked the bottom to the side of the run. The crazy fish had grabbed the fly and buried itself in the rocks. Luckily it backed out and the fight was on.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you on which stream is the prettiest. I can't wait to fish it this fall.
    You had a good day buddy.
    I'm tying some Usuals for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fall should be interesting. I hope that there are a lot more brookies than I'm seeing.

      Delete