Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Same frustration, but this time a brookie

I returned to the same brook from the last post and once again was greeted by fish with lockjaw.  Even my new friend BRK TRT was stymied by the residents of the stream, in spite of the great weather and his superior small stream fishing skills.  These fish simply did not want to be good sports.  As I mentioned in the previous post, I ultimately hooked one brookie but lost it while getting my camera out.  When I fished the pool this time I once again hooked a brookie on a hot pink worm/midge.  As you can see, I was much more adept at landing and photographing the fish my second time at this nice pool.  Salvelinus fontinalis is simply one of nature's most beautiful creatures and an absolute joy to behold.  My emotional response to witnessing one of these fish up close is the same now as it was 40 years or so ago when I first started fly fishing - complete awe.  These fish bring a smile to my face regardless of their size.




3 comments:

  1. Nice job getting the brookie to pose nicely this time - they are amazing fish. I still wonder how such a colorful fish can be so invisible on the bottom of a stream. BTW - I think I've seen the gentlemen in green somewhere before !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's age or maybe it's eyesight, but I rarely see the fish. I am getting better at it though. Yes you have seen the gentleman. He's been a big help to me getting back into fly fishing for trout, as opposed to stripers/bonito/little tunny which have occupied my time for the last 20 years.

      Delete
  2. I've seen that midge before. Don't know who the gent is though.
    Nice brookie.

    ReplyDelete